Instead of my usual green smoothie with spinach, this morning I used kale. I thought it would have a heavier leafy taste to it, but with the strawberries and banana it’s quite yummy! I have to say, I haven’t had a bad tasting smoothie yet. I am enjoying my green smoothies every morning for just over 2 weeks now! Kale is a dark green veggie which is the healthiest type of green you can have.
Benefits of kale:
- Fiber – helps with digestion, prevents constipation, lowers blood sugar and cubs your appetite.
- Antioxidants – carotenoids and flavonoids, two powerful antioxidants that protects our cells from free radicals. Key flavonoids kaempferol and quercitin have been shown to fight against the formation of cancerous cells. Also contains antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin A and manganese.
- Anti-Inflammatory – Omega-3 fatty acids can help regulate the body’s inflammatory process. Lots of vitamin K, which can fight against inflammatory related problems like arthritis, autoimmune disorders and asthma.
- Cancer – kale also contains glucosinolates, which can be a fighter of colon, breast, bladder, prostate, ovarian and gastric cancer
- Cardiovascular support – the high fiber content can lower cholesterol by binding with bile acids that the liver produces from cholesterol for digesting fat. This process causes the liver to produce more bile to digest fat, which requires more cholesterol, resulting in lowering of cholesterol. So put your liver to work with kale!
- Detox – isothiocyanates (ITC) from glucosinolates help in the detox process due to the high sulfur content.
- Vitamin K – TONS of vitamin K in Kale. 1327% of the RDA in one cup! Great for bone development, prevention of calcium build-up in tissue that can lead to atherosclerosis, cardiovascular disease and stroke. Also good for the nervous system.
- Vitamin A – over 192% of RDA of vitamin A, good for immunity, bones and teeth. Can prevent urinary stones and essential to our reproductive organs.
- Vitamin C – a powerful antioxidant, great for lowering the blood pressure, gives you a healthy immune system and can fight against age-related ocular diseases such as cataracts and macular degeneration.
My Kale Smoothie Recipe:
8 ounces apple juice
small handful of ice
2 teaspoons chia seeds
1 scoop Vanilla Big Train Fit Frappe protein powder
3 big leaves of washed kale leaves
1 banana (oops not pictured, but I did use a banana! LOL)
1 small handful of washed and sliced strawberries
You will be amazed how yummy green smoothies are, especially when you add your favorite fruit. I wasn’t sure how this one would turn out with the kale. I think the strawberries really add a nice sweetness to it. Well, it’s the combination of everything. Vanilla Big Train Fit Frappe makes everything taste amazing too. And you get your boost of protein. I can’t tell you enough how amazing I feel every day. I used to rely on coffee and junk food for energy. What was I thinking. There are no benefits to those things at all. But start you day out with a glass packed with nutrients of fruits and vegetables… and you really start your day off right. If you haven’t tried a green smoothie yet, do yourself a favor and try it!!! So darn yummy. I’m in my 40′s and I’m only now discovering how fun it is to put healthy things in my body. It’s never too late.
Happy Valentine’s Day!!